Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Bloodsport - Jean Claude Van Damme (1987) - The Peak, Hong Kong

In perhaps one of the most memorable scenes from the film (certainly one that I remember fairly vividly from when I first saw this film in the late 80's when it was first released onto VHS), JCVD heads up to the Peak to fight his inner demons and sits atop the Lion Pavilion in full splits whilst showing off the old 'muscles from Brussels'.

The scene starts with some hallucinations aboard the Peak Tram before giving us that famous panoramic vista down across the harbour.

 JCVD on the Peak Tram
 Nighttime fades into daytime

Not a bad day for visibility when they shot this, you can just make out the Anderson Rd Quarry in the distance. Much has changed, of course, in this skyline - just a few additions off the top of my head include the Cheung Kong Centre (it was still the Hilton hotel in 1987), new Standard Chartered HQ, the IFC development and of course the huge West Kowloon reclamation that now sits on the other side of the harbour.

The Lion Pavilion

Looking northwest across the harbour. Is there anybody out there who has snaps of this as passers-by when it was being filmed? Would love to see some. Judging from the shadows I reckon this was probably filmed late afternoon.

5 comments:

Bloodsport Fan said...

Nice. I was wondering about the locations in Bloodsport. I see other people ask about them on message boards.

Phil said...

feel free to spread the love to those curious forums :-)

Anonymous said...

the Peak, and the Lion Pavillion...great meditation place...thanx JCVD! thanx Bloodsport!

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,

I've visited HK in 2011, and I've searched the exact place where JCVD sits streching above the peak. I've found it and I have many photos on my computer.
I can send them to you if you want. I was very happy to find this exact place when I was in HK, I will visit all the other places you showed on my next trip there.

Phil said...

Hi Anon. Glad you found it. It's a very famous and popular spot for tourists and one that has featured in quite a few films on this blog. I haven't been up there for a few years but I am sure will make it again soon - maybe I will go up on my bike for a change ;). Cheers, Phil

Post a Comment